THANK YOU FOR DONATING!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Got My Israeli Drivers License!

In what has to be described as a miracle on par with the parting of the Red Sea or manna raining from heaven, yesterday I passed my Israeli driving test and today I received my Israeli Drivers License (a very VERY tired but relived me pictured here holding the "temporary").

Although I grew up on the Los Angeles freeway system and have spent 35 years driving under the most intense and hazardous urban conditions in American history (including logging 70,000 miles during the last two years of my tenure at Charter Media), and although I have a perfect driving record, somehow that wasn't...good enough. I had to suffer the indignity of both lessons and a test. My driving instructor actually wept after our first lesson - probably from relief that she had survived it. I may seem like I drive fast, but actually I'm a very safe driver - to echo Dustin Hoffman's character in the movie "Rainman" - "I'm an excellent driver!"

So to circumvent the possibility of failure, I decided to pretend to be a really, really slow and stupid driver, thereby passing under the rod of the test administrator. "Fake it till you make it," as they say in AA. Or is that AAA? Can't remember. Either way - I'm an official Israeli Driver now....honk, honk, HONK!!!!

No comments: